On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 at 08:34, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I see, so now the abstentions will not count for the voting result in any
> way, not even for the quorum.

That is the technical meaning of "abstention."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstention
An abstention is when no vote is cast even though one has the opportunity
to do so.
Many readers of this list abstain from one vote or another.  An abstention,
in the
technical meaning, cannot contribute to the quorum (except in a voting
system where
physical attendance is required, such as parliamentary votes).

However, despite the option being labelled an abstention, it is NOT an
abstention.
Technically, it is a "spoiled ballot."  Spoiled ballots DO contribute to a
quorum in
most voting systems.  If we treat it as a spoiled ballot, we get a
different result
if we set the approval bar as the ratio of yes to no votes or as the ratio
of yes
votes to the quorum.

As I see it, we have three options:

1. Treat it as an abstention, and continue to call it an abstention.  It
does
not count towards the quorum.  In which case it should appear separately
from the yes/no votes (or at least placed before yes/no votes) to avoid
confusion.
The talk page would theoretically be the best place for abstentions, but
practically would mean that any points raised would be less likely to be
seen by other voters.  Approval would be based on total yes/no votes
and ratio of yes to no votes.

2. Treat it as a spoiled ballot, and give it a name other than "abstention"
(maybe "comment").  It DOES contribute to the quorum.  Approval would
be based on total number of votes (yes/no/spoiled) and ratio of yes to
no + spoiled votes.

3.  Continue with the current confusion (or invent new confusion) where
"abstain" is neither fish nor fowl.  Those assuming "abstain" has its
technical interpretation will sometimes be surprised by the outcome
of a vote.

There are probably other options, too.

--
Paul