On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 at 20:29, Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wikipedia is not noted for its consistency.  From
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstention
>
> Abstentions do not count in tallying the vote negatively or positively; when
> members abstain, they are in effect attending only to contribute to a quorum.
> White votes, however, may be counted in the total of votes, depending on the
> legislation.
>
> Note that abstentions can only contribute to a quorum in things like
> parliamentary
> votes where people are required to attend.  As far as ordinary voters in
> elections
> go, there may be no requirement to attend or vote (depending on legislation)
> and
> no quorum.

I've just realised that i mixed up quorum (minimum number of votes for
a vote to be valid) and number of votes for calculating the majority.
While abstentions and invalid votes do contribute to the quorum (if
one exist), they usually aren't counted when calculating the majority.
At least this is the situation in Switzerland. Example [1]:

Distributed ballots: 244
Received ballots: 244
Empty: 25
Invalid: 1