Hm... That's a strange turnaround. The move from name to route_name may
seem logical but the result is not. I still would want the end result to be
that name=* will hold the clean name without the extras. But for some
reason I do not see that happen some time soon...

In the meantime, one of the problems is rendering a proper name. That's
what I aim at.

Let me explain my idea better. My suggestions is a solution for the
renderer. Which isn't done, I know, except.... in the osmc:symbol tag.
That's why the osmc-part is crucial. You cannot leave that out, because
it 's the only accepted tagging-for-the-renderer as far as I know.

I had used osmc for a long time before I found out what the acronym
actually stands for. Before I just  thought it meant "osm coding" or
something like that. And even knowing what is actually stood for, I still
think of it like that. Simply document the change of word, done. I'm sure
somebody can probably come up with a nice appropriate c-word.

Then I thought, let's just add an extra component to the osmc:symbol
definition. Hm, rewrite parsing routines, not great and changes an existing
tag.
So then I thought: let's see osmc: as a namespace and simply add an element
subtag.

Even if name=* is fixed in the far far future so that it contains clean
names, it still could be useful to contain a short version of the official
route name. I have seen a few official names coming by where a
oneword display version for rendering would be nice to have.

Just a quick fix of one problem for one target user group (renderers). Does
no harm to any other target user group. It does not force anyone to change
the processing, but benefits the ones that implement it.

Best, Peter Elderson