On Mon, 25 May 2020 at 19:44, John Willis via Tagging <
tagging@openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Javbw
>
> On May 25, 2020, at 1:28 PM, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harv...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> We do have that: `sac_scale=hiking`
>

> And that is a good example of bad tagging I want to correct.
>
> There are more people walking local wilderness trails with their dog in a
> single day than all “backpackers” on earth in a year. Few-to-none of these
> are “day-hike” or “trekking” routes, yet they are most definitely “trails”.
> I do not need to know the sac scale to tag it as a trail.
>
> And How are those routes “hiking”? There are plenty of trails not meant
> for hiking. Hiking is a leisure pastime. A trail is type of way.

But how would you define what a trail is?

Up in this thread Daniel noted some definitions, but I think that needs to
be written up as a proposal for where it would apply.

According to the Cambridge dictionary, a trail is "a path through a
> countryside, mountain, or forest area, often made or used for a particular
> purpose:
> - a forest/mountain trail
> - a walking/snowshoeing/cross-country skiing trail"
> Other dictionaries use "beaten path", "a track made by passage especially
> through a wilderness" or similar.
>
> To me, the main difference is between a beaten path vs a path that has
> been purposely groomed.

I can tag a track without defining it’s tracktype=* it’s a track - _and
> then_ further defined by tracktype=* .
>
> Do I have to know the width to tag a road? Do I need to know the number of
> stairs or the incline of the steps to tag it as steps?
>
> No.
>
> It’s a residential road. Steps. A cycleway. A trail.
>
> The attributes of the way do not define it as that type of way - a named
> tag anyone can use does, including someone who can’t define its sac scale -
> or has no idea what the heck that is.
>
> Trails should Have _never_ been lumped in with path. It was a _horrible_
> decision, like motorways and driveways sharing a main tag because cars use
> both.
>
> At least sub-tagging them to be able to easily separate them _and then_,
> when possible define further characteristics __when possible__ with more
> specific tags, like sac scale.

I get your point, and agree, but for highway=footway there is a definition
on the wiki of what that covers, same for cycleway, residential road,
highway=track, etc. we don't just say tag a track as highway=track.

For example around me a "Fire Trail" is tagged as highway=track, and a
"Track" (as in a remote forest/bush walking path) is tagged as
highway=footway/path (probably what you're proposing as "trail". So we need
definitions that can be applied globally regardless of how things are
locally known and across languages.