> For example around me a "Fire Trail" is tagged as highway=track, and a
> "Track" (as in a remote forest/bush walking path) is tagged as
> highway=footway/path (probably what you're proposing as "trail". So we need
> definitions that can be applied globally regardless of how things are
> locally known and across languages.

You're touching a very important topic here, linguistics. We use different
terms in different parts of the globe. And a path has in English a much
wider meaning than when translated to other languages, like Swedish.

In Swedish we have basically "*väg", *which would translate to road or way,
while "*stig" *would translate to footpath/path/trail, basically what we're
discussing here, i.e. the narrower definition of path.

   - bil*väg*: car road (or "car way")
   - bruks*väg*/skogs*väg*/jordbruks*väg* (= track)
   - cykel*väg*: cycleway
   - gång*väg*: footway (= part of the official network)
   - gång*stig *or simply stig (as it can just as well be used for MTB
   etc.).

My point is that there is a linguistic different between different kinds of
"väg", all of which are part of the officially built road/cycleway/footway
network vs naturally created paths/trails. The use of highway=path for both
these purposes is probably the main confusion for me.

Sure, there is a greyzone for cases like purposely built, often
urban/semi-urban, "natural paths" or paths that have been groomed to
increase their accessibility for visually impaired, wheelchairs, children
etc. But as has been mentioned in this thread, those greyzone cases are
minor compared to the overall problem of the lack of this distinction.

Sorry for having caused a very long, but certainly very interesting and
engaging thread on this never-ending topic. If it was discussed this way 12
(?) years ago, things would have been simpler. I understand the consensus
as although it would have been good, it's probably too late for a separate
highway tag for "trail" or whatever we call it and the only way forward is
a subtag like "highway=trail"? Although what we need then is a clear
definition of what it is and a way to handle all the cases when this subkey
will not be used.

For such a definition we probably need people from many different countries
chipping in, to make it clear enough for all languages and locations.

/Daniel