On 8/6/20 10:16 pm, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:

Jun 6, 2020, 06:20 by 61sundow...@gmail.com:

    On 3/6/20 7:22 am, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:

    Jun 2, 2020, 20:16 by stevea...@softworkers.com
    <mailto:stevea...@softworkers.com>:

        "this IS residential landuse." (Not COULD BE, but IS). Yes,
        this land might be "natural" now, including being "treed,"
        but I could still build a patio and bbq there after perhaps
        cutting down some trees, it is my residential land and I am
        allowed to do that, meaning it has residential use, even if
        it is "unimproved" presently.

    It is a residential property, not a residential landuse.

    I have a few trees on my residential property. I use then for;
    shade, to sit under, to have a BBQ under, read a book under, think
    about things. People park their cars, caravans and boats under them.

    They are part of my home ... they are used by me ... as my residence.

    If trees are to be excluded from OSM residential landuse, will
    grass and flowers be removed too? Are only buildings to be mapped
    as residential landuse in OSM? I think that would be ridiculous.

        These facts do add to the difficulty: OSM doesn't wish to
        appear to be removing property rights from residential
        landowners (by diminishing landuse=residential areas)

    Are there people somehow believing that edits in OSM affect
    property rights and may remove them?
    That is ridiculous.

        but at the same time, significant portions of these areas do
        remain in a natural state, while distinctly and presently
        "having" residential landuse.

    For me and in my region (Poland) it would be treated as a clearly
    incorrect mapping.

    Parks here can have scrub, trees, grass and /or flowers - that
    does not mean they are not parks because of the land cover.

    I would contend similar consideration by held for residential
    landuse.

Yes, landuse=residential may include areas with tree, I fully agree here.

But "portions of these areas do remain in a natural state" with residential status limited solely to legal status (land ownership, legal right to build something there and start using
this land as landuse=residential) cases seem quite dubious to me.

As far as I know some of the trees are 'natural' on my place... I still use them.

How do you know that the 'residential status' is limited to the legal and not additionally used for the personal enjoyment of the people residing there?