sent from a phone

> On 23. Jul 2020, at 21:36, Jmapb <jm...@gmx.com> wrote:
>
> As I see it, having bicycle=no imply permission to push a dismounted bicycle
> violates the principle of least surprise because it's inconsistent with other
> *=no access tags. I wouldn't presume I could push my car along a
> motor_vehicle=no way, or dismount my horse and lead it along a horse=no way.
>
> I'm not asking for a stricter redefinition of bicycle=no because I suspect
> it's simply not feasible at this point, especially given the continued
> popular support for the interpretation that allows dismounted travel. But
> it's clear why there's confusion here. Precisely because of this
> inconsistency in the meaning of *=no, the strictest documented bicycle tag
> value does not correctly describe the strictest real-world cases (which are
> not rare.)

it is not our fault that bicycles are treated differently by the law than
automobiles or horses. ;)
the tag “bicycle” is not about bicycles as an object, but about the legal
possibility / right to ride a bicycle.
Typically, people pushing a bike are legally pedestrians. That’s why
bicycle=dismount and bicycle=no are synonymous, and why neither of them is
suitable to describe whether you can bring a bike as an object, without riding
it.

Cheers Martin