On 27/07/2020 17.59, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:
Jul 27, 2020, 21:55 by r...@senecass.com:
I assume if the highway has no name, it'd be highway=service, but if
it has a county name, like "Lost Gulch Road" too, wouldn't it then be
highway=residential? Is there a difference if it's vacation cabins, or
seasonal or full-time houses ?

Maybe "named therefore residential, service otherwise" makes
sense in your region, but in some places (for example Poland)
there are named service roads and unnamed residential roads.

If the road leads to houses, residential probably makes sense. The reason I want to chime in here, though, is that *in general* I agree with this last comment. TIGER seems to label everything that isn't primary/secondary/tertiary as "residential", but per the wiki, residential is supposed to only be used for roads that are, well *residential*, i.e. are leading to or fronted by *residences*.

Personally, when I see stuff like https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/734188025, I re-tag it highway=service or highway=unclassified. That road (apparently¹) has a name, but it's clearly *not* a residential road; it's the access road to a strip mall.

(¹ Seeing as https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/50738336 is apparently "also" Southside Drive, I would question the name on way 734188025, but I can't get there right now to do a survey. However, that's sort of beside the point.)

TL;DR: I assume that Rob had an unstated "if it leads to residences" in there, and probably should have stated it, because the rest of the assertion is only valid *with* that assumption.

--
Matthew