On 7/27/20 11:19 AM, Rob Savoye wrote:
On 7/27/20 11:00 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:
I'd go with highway=track and tracktype=*, surface=* and smoothness=*
tags as necessary.  Given how inconsistent the 3 and especially 4 digit
US forest service roads tend to be, I'd expect tracktype and smoothness
are underutilized despite their relative importance on those roads.
   That's roughly what I've been doing, Drive or hike there, and decide
on the values for those tags while standing there. I'm still curious
about "narrow" though. :-) I don't think smoothness gets rendered
though, and everything is usually a grade2, so somewhat meaningless.
I'm in central Colorado, & around here, I agree, tracktype is not useful, the tracks here are mostly solid, grade 2 or 3, but could be a high clearance, or 4wd road due to rocks and ledges. However, smoothness could, and should be rendered.   The old maps usually distinguished between
improved - smoothness=bad or better than bad
high clearance - smoothness=very_bad (the wiki specifically mentions high clearance for this tag)
4wd - smoothness=horrible

In my area an almost bigger issue is that a lot of roads shown on OSM, and on the county GIS, are actually private and closed.   That may not be an issue for you though, if you have an emergency, and bolt cutters.

In regards to your initial question, I've never seen the key narrow used, or lanes on an unpaved road.   I think width would be better. That probably wouldn't get rendered either, I've never considered it.
itself.  If the placard has a horizontal orientation (read from left to
right), then it's intended to be passable by most vehicles but may or
may not be paved.  If the placard has a vertical orientation (read from
top down), then don't count on your car being able to make it, you'll
probably need something with ground clearance and 4WD if it's
traversable at all with a motor vehicle.
   Yep, we teach our trainees that, and since we use current USGS topo
maps as basemaps in OsmAnd, you get that and the OSM data. Best of both.
Sure beats the days we used a thick paper map book, and a bag of topo maps.

   Personally though, what the USFS uses to determine that difference
doesn't seem consistent, and over many years, the road conditions change
drastically due to erosion. I prefer to go there in a high-clearance
vehicle or UTV and decide after driving it.

        - rob -