On 2020-07-30 12:26, Alan Mackie wrote:

> IMO the logic behind putting the EU as admin_level=1 would have meant that
> the United States of America, the USSR and Australia would have been made
> admin_level=1 when they were formed from their preceding entities (if OSM had
> existed at those times).
>
> I would suggest that contrary to the preceding thread: if and when the EU
> becomes as unified as the above examples it would make more sense to put the
> EU as a whole as admin_level=2 and add one to all boundaries of the states
> and subareas already mapped within it.

There's nothing magic about the actual numbers of course. It's about the
relationships between the levels in a hierarchy, some measure of  global
uniformity and consistency, and also about parallel hierarchies which
may or may not be related to each other.

The EU is «composed-of» whole member states. It has all the attributes
of a governmental administrative body - with the executive, parliament
and justicial branches impacting citizens directly. I would say it
deserves a place in the OSM admin hierarchy, at a higher level than the
member states; admin_level=1 is the obvious choice.