Am Do., 30. Juli 2020 um 17:13 Uhr schrieb Alan Mackie <aamac...@gmail.com>:

> This is why I suggested that the more practical solution would probably be
> to re-tag all existing admin_level=2 with admin_level=1 except for the EU
> ones as there are far fewer elements to be updated. Arbitrarily deciding
> that the EU gets its own admin_level not used by other top level entities
> breaks consistency with the rest of the world for the sake of local pride.

which other top level entities are you getting at? Why should we not tag
these with the same tag?
Actually, admin_level=1 is already quite established, just with a different
key: heritage=1 (for UN heritage sites)
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/heritage=1#map

> The EU is not the only entity that has arisen by agreement of neighbours
> to clump together, in that respect it is only unique in that it is the most
> populous one that happens to be doing so at this particular point in time.

you are of course free to add the past ones in OHM ;-)

> Of course every entity is unique in its own special way, but the
> uniqueness of individual trees and mountains doesn't stop us from
> attempting consistent tagging.

+1

cheers,
Martin