> Quitting the EU if you don't like it is much easier than
seceding from a country.

I don't follow this reasoning since some people will always leave their country behind and begin a new life somewhere else. That was just how the US was founded, founded by ones from Europe mostly who broke up with their formally country in the hope of a better life.

And quitting the EU is not easy because in a democracy it is not easy to gain the single vote of a majority e.g. to leave the EU. And also the complexity of the contracts with the EU don't make this easy. See United Kingdom and they don't have the problem of having to switch currency since they use their own one already.

I would rather say that the EU is a suber administrative boundary which belongs to OSM as a relation with admin_level=1 with all the EU countries as its members.

~ Sören Reinecke alias Valor Naram