On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 at 14:24, Clifford Snow <cliff...@snowandsnow.us> wrote:
> What I find interesting is that the Canadian Border Crossing is located on
> the North side of the Saint Lawrence River while the US crossing station is
> located on the South side of the river. It seems to imply that the Akwesasne
> Nation is not in either country.

Prosaically, many border control points are built a little away from
the actual border, where it's convenient to build them.

Per Wikipedia, the Canadian border control point was moved from the
island in 2009 after a protest against CBSA agents beginning to carry
firearms.

My personal interpretation reading between the lines is that the
current location is a compromise. You won't find the federal
government saying they don't control the land, but neither was there
an appetite to push for an all-out confrontation. That being said, the
notion of being "in a country" like Canada is of course colonial and
seems to increasingly be fraying for some Indigenous areas here.

--Jarek