On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 at 07:56, Alan Mackie <aamac...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 at 20:21, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> > On 1. Aug 2020, at 17:20, Alan Mackie <aamac...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I don't know how I'd map this. Do you have to pass through border
>> > checkpoints when you enter or leave the area?
>>
>> around here, no, but neither are there border checkpoints at the border of
>> the main territory, you just walk there without noticing you are changing
>> country (referring to the Vatican City)
>>
> In this instance I meant the Ahkwesáhsne / US / Canadian situation.

Yeah but per the precedents of the Vatican, Monaco, the Schengen area,
etc, a border checkpoint is not necessarily needed for a country
border to exist and be acknowledged.

Or for another European analogy, consider the Sápmi region inhabited
by Sámi people and their relation to Nordic country borders.

--Jarek