On 7. Aug 2020, at 19:12, Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org> wrote:
I feel like a data consumer unable to deal with access tagging is already
broken in advance.
although we already use access like tags for parkings it should be noted that
being allowed to access is different to being allowed to park, in general.

The only use of an amenity=parking is to park there, so there is no other access that we have to consider. The situation may be different for ways and streets on the parking lot, but these are tagged separately anyhow. If the whole area is also used for other purposes (like street markets), then this is tagged on a spearate object with separate access tags.