sent from a phone

> On 23. Aug 2020, at 22:24, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenb...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> We want to make it clear that lying down or sitting down is not allowed or
> physical obstructed, right?

I think the focus is on physically obstructed, although this is also not very
easy to decide in every case, and it will only tell part of the story. For
example the case of a bench which gets later amended with features that prevent
lying on them might seem clear, similar to handrails in schools where bumps are
added to prevent sliding in the staircases, but what about benches being
completely removed (or never installed), it’s equally hostile but not mappable.
Or shops who are right away not built in a way that you could sit down on their
facade.

Another issue is judging the motivation.

In Rome I have 2 prominent examples coming to mind: Palazzo Farnese, a 16th
century building has benches integrated all along its main facade to the
square, here in 2011:
https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Fachada_Farnese_01.jpg

now they have fenced off the front of the building:

https://media.06blog.it/t/tra/transenne-ambasciata-francese/foto.JPG

likely they will tell you it is for security reasons (it is home of the French
embassy).

Another example is the back of the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore, with
impressive stairs where people used to sit down, now it is fenced off (actually
for many, 12+, years).

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Rome_-_Santa_Maria_Maggiore_-_facade.JPG

here’s a picture of the context:
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.Uv5GPV4gzqKemE8Sod5M5gHaEq%26pid%3DApi&f=1

It’s not always clear which kind of “security” is intended.

Or benches which are right away designed to not let you even sit comfortably,
like the Rome bus stops:

https://www.quotidianodiragusa.com/cache/2013/12/1386445483-0-roma-auto-impazzita-si-schianta-contro-la-fermata-del-bus-5-feriti_900x600.jpg

(While traditionally there weren’t any benches anyway, at least in the not in
the recent past and still many stops are just a pole):
https://www.repubblica.it/2003/e/gallerie/cronaca/divano/esterne061916440610191747_big.jpg

end of several lines:

https://roma.repubblica.it/images/2012/06/07/223645185-efd8381b-3456-4f88-b497-e2e2f158ead8.jpg

Cheers Martin