Am Di., 15. Sept. 2020 um 10:34 Uhr schrieb Tobias Zwick <o...@westnordost.de
>:

> I was under the impression that the wiki already defined it like 2).

If it were like this it would be fortunate, because we already have nearly
1,9 million highways tagged with "width", and if we could reasonably expect
that these are following the definition, we would maybe not have to resort
to yet another key like width:carriageway

Looking at width tag variants:
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=width

here are those with more than 1K uses (ignoring yh:WIDTH which is leading
even before the main tag, but clearly not a recommendable format for tags,
as it isn't self explaining and has uppercase letters, and ignoring those
that do not seem to refer to roads):

cycling_width
cycleway:est_width
shoulder:width