On 16/09/2020 14:59, Jeremy Harris wrote:
On 16/09/2020 14:26, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
On 16/09/2020 05.57, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
I noticed that crossing=zebra tag usage is drastically shrinking while
the
very generic crossing=marked, which was quite unpopular before (2013-2018
below 6000 uses) now went through the roof and is leading the tagstats
with
more than 1 million uses. What do you think about it, shouldn't we be
encouraging people to use more specific tags like crossing=zebra or
crossing=traffic_signals instead?
My understanding is that crossing=zebra is deprecated in favor of
crossing=uncontrolled / crossing=traffic_signals. In particular, my
understanding is that they are synonymous for (almost¹) all practical
purposes. (Also, that crossing=marked is not desired either...)

Please explain how crossing=marked is "very generic" and what value
crossing=zebra adds.
In the UK, at least, there is a legal distinction: motor traffic
is required to give way to pedestrians *waiting to cross* at a
zebra crossing; this does not apply for crossings that are marked
(and have feature useful to pedestrians such as refuge islands
and dropped kerbs).

Indeed; which is why crossing_ref=zebra (which is the correct tag for this) should not be tagged as 'uncontrolled'. The presence of a pedestrian controls the motor traffic.

DaveF

I could imagine, for example, sight-challenged pedestrians wanting
to know about zebra-crossings specifically.