I thought the correct tag for this was crossing_ref. Have you cross checked to see if they've been swapped instead of removed?

DaveF

I noticed that crossing=zebra tag usage is drastically shrinking while the very generic crossing=marked, which was quite unpopular before (2013-2018 below 6000 uses) now went through the roof and is leading the tagstats with more than 1 million uses. What do you think about it, shouldn't we be encouraging people to use more specific tags like crossing=zebra or crossing=traffic_signals instead?