On Sep 24, 2020, at 2:53 PM, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenb...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Most large wildfires do not burn the canopy (the tallest trees) in forests
> with trees over 10 meters in height.

Noted, thank you.

> The perimeter of the wildfire, shown commonly on public maps, does not
> determine which areas have been burned. Often there are large areas of
> vegetation along canyon bottoms and streambeds which are unburned, within the
> perimeter.

Something I already DID know, also noted, thank you.

> You will need new aerial imagery or detailed on-the-ground survey to
> determine the surviving areas of vegetation.

Something I have anticipated (apparently correctly), yet which isn't available
now (though I assume will be, in the regular course of imagery being updated),
so also noted, thank you.

> I would not recommend attempting to map the current official perimeter of the
> fire, since this changes on a daily or hourly basis: it is a temporary event
> which is not really verifiable from the standpoint of an OpenStreetMap
> volunteer mapper.

It isn't anticipated, it was completed about a month ago, containing only two
versions, creation with start_date and one a couple days ago to add the
end_date tag.  It is a lightweight data structure:  one polygon with three
tags.  I don't intend to delete it, as it marks a distinct boundary in the real
world regarding real world components (like landuse and land cover) that OSM
already maps — indeed which OSM already 100% maps in the area noted —yet these
(existing landuse and land cover) polygons may have their nature / character
quite substantially altered from the fire.

The event WAS temporary (and determinable from start_date and end_date keys),
the aftermath will indisputably last years, perhaps decades.  OSM will be
mapping in the area during the meantime.

> Database users who need these perimeters should download the latest version
> from the official sources.

Yes, AND OSM users who map in areas affected by the fire want (likely need)
fire perimeter data to delineate where substantial "re-mapping" almost
certainly must take place.

Thank you for your quick reply!

SteveA