On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 12:46 AM Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <
tagging@openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> landuse=forest is used to tag tree covered area, not for how land is used

I don't believe everyone around here will agree with that interpretation.
I live in an area with significant logging. Typically I will see logging
trucks bringing in just cut timber to be milled  when I'm out for just a
short drive. Timber production is a big industry in Alaska, British
Columbia, Washington, Oregon, and California.

> It is also basically universally interpreted this way by various data
> consumers.

That may be for cartographic interpretation. But researchers may have a
different opinion. A researcher just interested in potential wildfire areas
may not be interested in the difference, but someone looking at how much
land is being used for forestry products may have a different opinion. Or
in mountainous states where clear cutting often causes landslides. I know
our state studies where it's dangerous to clear cut because the area is so
steep.

The wiki on landuse=forest does need some help. We shouldn't be offering a
tag with such unclear use cases as landuse=forest currently is written.

Best,
Clifford

--
@osm_washington