sent from a phone

> On 10. Oct 2020, at 00:35, Dave F <davefoxfa...@btinternet.com>
>
> I believe most of this discussion is moot as the *vast* majority of
> railway=stations are mapped as nodes:
>      Node    Way     Relation
> IT   2878    400     15
> DE   4388    39      45
> FR   2553    646     14
> JP   9063    5       11
> US   4140    174     8

still it seems you found it important enough to engage in an edit war on the
wiki and tell me I would have to discuss in order to keep the definition, not
you who wants to change it.

> I also amended the area indicating what roughly constitutes a 'railway
> station' according to the wiki.

according to the wiki, a railway station is a railway station, your edit made a
part of a railway station the area for railway=station

> Tagging objects should be based on the understanding of what the general
> consumer of OSM accept it to be, not just a small group of "rail enthusiasts"
> from Germany.

tagging concepts should accommodate both, the general mappers and the experts.
Data consumers will have to find a way to make their own sense of the map data,
naturally the mappers will try to help them, but it is not the consumers who
rule tagging, it’s the mappers.

> @
> If you went up to a commuter waiting on the platform & asked 'what
> constitutes a railway station' they would give close to the description above.

just try it. Go to a train station and ask the commuters if they believe that
the train on the sidetrack without a platform (waiting to be serviced or
restructured or to depart later etc.) is out of the train station or inside. Or
the technical station buildings where passengers aren’t admitted.

Do you believe these tracks are outside the station, or do you believe they
aren’t but others might think they are, so the best would be to make the
OpenStreetMap station as small as we think that they think it is, so nobody is
unnecessarily confused?

> I *very* much doubt they'd also turn, point & say 'Oh, & also that one
> signal. about about 1 km down the track'.

I admit I don’t know about signals, but for switches it seems pretty easy:
there are tracks coming from somewhere, and at some point, where I would
suspect begins the station, these tracks bifurcate and become more.

> Landuse=railway should be used for railway areas that far away from the
> station.

+1, could be used, I’d even say, from far away until very very close, up to the
limit of the station area.

> On Wed, 7 Oct 2020 at 18:42, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > This was also discussed in the wiki:
> > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:railway%3Dstation#Station_an_area_.3F
>
> That makes no mention of a station's extent.

“

You should not map the building as railway=station, because railway=station as
an area is seen as the area of the railway station (how obvious ;-) ), which is
often from the entrance signal or at least from the first switch/point
(AE/BE...) of each direction. --rayquaza (talk) 12:46, 23 July 2013 (UTC)

> > And it is what we do around here locally.
>
> As I've shown, that's not the case, & anyway, OSM is global, not local.

you have not shown what kind of areas are mapped in OpenStreetMap, what you
have shown is that there are more nodes than ways.

> > It is also what the definition of railway=stations says, the tag defines "A
> > railway station".
>
> See above at @.

that’s a citation from wikipedia, and very selective as well, and it doesn’t
say what isn’t in or out the station, it says what is the typical minimum you
can find at a station

Cheers Martin