Good points.

I think Norway and Sweden is quite well-known for good maps for hikers in the mountains (at least we think so ourselves :-) ), but indeed those do not require as quick updates as there's not much changing out there and so far no craftbeer on the top of Kebnekaise mountain. But maybe its coming... :-). I have no doubt though that if we could make a good baseline outdoor map which works as a drop-in replacement for the government maps, we could get more contributions that surpass what official sources can provide, such as various climbing routes. That's my dream, and one reason I started to map national parks. However if the base map lacks important base features, eg names in the nature or proper generalization, the map is considered less relevant for these areas and people won't contribute in the same way.

I also agree with your other points, but it does boil down to that I need to do a lot of work :-O. On the other hand it's much easier to get things done when you have a small community that can agree on the goals, than most energy being spent on trying to convince each-other if a goal is even worthwhile to pursue or not, and making people upset in the process, which I myself have been guilty of. It's energy-draining for all of us.

I've seen the large fragmentation in OSM, all those small private projects here and there, as a problem. Not the projects as such, those are great, many great and interesting ideas, but most seem disconnected from the main community and as such few make it back into mainline, but instead goes unmaintained and eventually peters out when the authors move on to other projects. But what to do if the things you want doesn't really fit into what OSM currently is and strives to be... I'll think about it over Christmas. I've invested way more time in OSM during the fall than I initially planned to. Mapping is dangerous, it's easy to get hooked ;-).

/Anders

On 2020-12-21 15:09, Tomas Straupis wrote:
2020-12-21, pr, 15:54 Anders Torger rašė:
A local renderer would be limited in use <...>

  Not necessarily ;-)
  1. It could be a practical/visual proof of a "better way".
  2. It could be a testing ground for finding solutions to some
international (wider than OSM, say ICA) cartographic problems.
  3. If enough local communities create cartographic data schemas,
they could technically align them (tagging-cartographic maillist?) and
then data consumers would have to adopt to that as well.
  4. I'm not aware of the outdoors map specifics in Sweden, but at
least here OSM maps update much faster and also include
specific/thematic information for tourism, cayaking, craftbeer,
history and all other good things which official sources do not have.
And having all of that in one database (rather than an overlay) has
some important benefits.