Thanks Steve, good to know about the wiki, I had a hunch that was how it's meant but wasn't really sure. Certainly descriptive for this tag. I guess I could "take over" the fell tag but starting massively use it for bare mountain landcover, but I shall look more closely into alternatives.

Just starting using Overpass Turbo, seems like a really cool and useful tool, and impressively fast for the amount of data there is. With a bit of learning curve as you say though :-D.

I think I've read about heath+alpine=yes somewhere, I'll see if I can make an OT search for it :-).

/Anders

On 2020-12-21 19:11, stevea wrote:
Nice, Anders.  You can use taginfo to get "the raw numbers" (quantity)
of a particular kind of tagging.  What might work specifically for you
in this case is to use some well-crafted Overpass Turbo queries (over
a specific area at first, you can use the "bbox" method of "what you
see on-screen" or you can use the "geocodeArea" directive to restrict
the query to a named place).  OT querying takes some practice to
become skilled in its vast power to query OSM data, but it is worth
investing in the learning curve to do this, as it is likely (imo) the
most powerful tool we have to ask our data "what about this, like
this?"

Usually, our wiki describe "tagging as is," what is known as
"descriptive."  On occasion, some wiki will be "prescriptive," meaning
"here is how one SHOULD tag, though I make a point to say that any
wiki which does that should say so explicitly.

Good luck in your endeavors!

SteveA