Dear martianfreeloader,

you wrote Thu Sep 15 2022 00:27:11 GMT+0200

I am a hiker and a climber, but I made experiences similar to Peter's on
more than one occasion. I have been led along ways by osmand which were
mapped as highway=path; obviously by other climbers. They were
definitely not suitable for folks without climbing experience that want
to go on a physically demanding hike

Yet, these kind of paths/scrambles are
often not considered "real climbing" in the narrower sense (mountaineers
would usually still go without rope).

from your description, I've the impression you're less seeking
information specifically about scrambling (using hands) but more how
demanding and dangerous a way is. Both is reflected by SAC hiking grade;
T5 and T6 seem matching very well the ways you describe – too easy to be
listed anywhere as a climbing route, so listed as hiking path while
bearing too high falling risk for quite a share of hikers.

In case my impression is correct, do you remember any of these ways and
could check a hand full whether they are carrying SAC T grade? Then,
this tag "just" needs to be considered by data consumers, i.e. humans
shall set desired maximum hike difficulty and routers shall not suggest
any paths that are more difficult. That works very reliable in BRouter,
but I did not try OsmAnd much for that purpose.

In case my impression is not correct, could you please tell with other
words how your experiences link to highway=scrambling?

Best regards,
Georg