Dear Peter and all others,

Peter wrote Thu Sep 15 2022 23:37:04 GMT+0200
Wouldn't scramble=yes with highway=path do the trick? Hurts nobody,
and carries the exact information you want.
IMHO as clear as friendly "no" 🙂 In current state, scramble has not an
sufficiently clear definition to fulfill "carries the exact
information"; more work on the definition when hands are [not]
"required" is required.

But do we want to discuss until we have a clear definition? Is it worth
the effort?

I think we shall reflect that SAC did clearly define T1+2 must not and
T4+T5+T6 must contain use of hands – but they left T3 open: "You may
need your hands for balance". IMHO, that vague wording with "may" is not
a drawback of the definition, but a strength. If we introduced
highway=scramble with current definition as "tag for hiking paths, where
use of hands is required", to tag correctly as highway=path/scramble,
mappers need to decide whether hands are required. But that is highly
individual, depending on body shape, fitness, intensity of sense for
balance, fear level, how slippery shoes are on the ground in which
weather condition.

To illustrate how difficult telling apart "hands required or not" is,
two edge cases:

1) A hike traverses a steep muddy hillside that is fine when dry but
extremely slippery when wet – so the very same person uses hands to
balance or not, it only depends on the weather (experienced in
geothermal area). What is then the property of the way? In doubt the
more difficult one? Or depending on how often that way is dry versus
wet? If so, the whole year or only during hiking season? etc.

2) A four year old kid (like mentioned by Marc_marc) will need the hands
even for little steps of 20cm, while Ueli Steck is scrambling in terrain
many people would consider requiring climbing gear, see e.g. at 2:28 in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfpYNr7es0Y So the range of scrambling
is extremely wide. Where in that range shall a mapper start? Maybe we
could re-use from Peter's question _"a grown-up, non-challenged, average
hiker without climbing skills and without special gear other then a
cane, hiking shoes and gloves"_ While that will rule out both extremes I
sketched, what is an average hiker? In the alpine club of my home town
in Germany, most people in the hiking groups are seniors, so the
"average hiker" may be over 65 years. In northern Germany, paths are
built very solid, have relatively smooth surface and the highest hills
are below 200m. So I guess a lot of them will use hands already for
slightly steeper stairs like in Angkor Wat
https://i.huffpost.com/gen/1344437/thumbs/o-ANGKOR-WAT-STAIRS-570.jpg?1
But the average hiker from Cusco in Peru will be much younger and will
be hiking between 2000m and 5500m altitude in steep terrain on quite
uneven paths that have been created with minimal building effort. They
IIRC do Huayna Picchu path & staircase completely without scrambling
despite it's really really steep and also hundreds of meters high (very
left side in
https://www.hikr.org/gallery/photo228207.html?post_id=20026) – I do not
assume our average 65+ year old hiker from the flat would go there
without hands, and be it only because of vertico which usually increases
with age.

To illustrate how little clear current definition is to me, both by the
description and provided photos: I am hiking in SAC T3 or above (so
where scrambling may exist) maybe 3-8 days a year since 3 decades, so I
know it but I am not at all trained & routined.

The photo embedded in the page makes the impression it's SAC3 hiking,
the ground of the 5 people on upper part is invisible, the lady at right
has steps like in a staircase – so from the picture, I strongly guess I
would walk upright, and most routined trail runners would probably even
run it.

All photos of linked "Snowdon" webpage show people walking upright and
create the impression of a pretty usual hiking tour though rocky & ridge
terrain, so this example does not at all make clear that people are
_required_ to use the hands.

The middle photos for "Hirschlucke" shows a fix rope in a nearly
vertical wall of at least 20m heigth, that looks like typical easy
climbing technique is required and force on holds is obviously needed
(so UIAA grade III), but as current definition tells "A scramble ends
where climbing starts", the way must be tagged as climbing but not
highway=scrambling.

scramble=grade has no description and the values do reveal only exactly
one grade – so why add a grade at all if it's always the same? 🤔

Conclusion from my point of view: All hiking trails of difficulty SAC
T1+2 are clearly not scramble and all T4+5+6 are clearly scramble, so
highway=scramble could only add more information to SAC T3 hikes which
are not clarified by the existing tagging like smoothness=very_horrible
mentioned in my other email and in wiki page. Moreover, I doubt we will
come up with a definition that is resulting in mostly consistent tagging
path/scramble. Both together limits the potential added value
considerably, while nearly all data consumers (renderer, themes,
editors, routers) use highway=path so would need to be altered which is
a massive effort. IMHO it's not worth it.

Peter wrote Thu Sep 15 2022 00:03:48 GMT+0200

> If a sign says a path will make you scamble somewhere

Despite hiking in many different regions and terrains and grades, I
can't recall I ever saw such a sign besides fun/prank/ironic ones like
"student crossing"
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41ePl0GmRtL.__AC_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg
Do you have some examples of serious ones?

Besr regards,
Georg