Hello Georg, yes, Ueli Steck certainly is the wrong person, to grade
anything openstreetmap trails. I was a bit surprised, that
openstreetmap does not have a path up Eiger. If so, I'd propose
"highway=mountaineering" for it, just like the one up Mönch, which now
is T6 in fine-print, while personally, I'd say, that sac_scale there
is just "not_applicable".

In one of the Snowdon photos, a woman is using hands for balance. I
guess, that makes it a grade1 scramble then, whereas use of hands to
advance might make a higher grade scramble? C.f.
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/understanding-scrambling-grades The site is
operated by a business, no idea if that is just something they made up
or if use is spread wider.

I like on the proposed tag, that discriminating by use of hands makes
it much more easy on mappers, many of which just do not have the
desire to become proficient in sac_scale. There certainly are a number
of scrambles in the data that are not marked, because mappers are not
even aware, that key sac_scale exists. More over, as we have seen in
this thread, even proficient hikers can get it quite wrong, likely due
to cultural background.

I doubt, that many routers or renderers will have to change anything.
To the opposite, very few routers and renderes will have to. Even
those routers, that claim "hiking" profiles usually give unreasonable
estimates. And the other consumers will get a reminder before they
fill any gaps. I see introduction of a special tag a win win
situation.