Dear all,

Asa wrote Sat Sep 17 2022 14:11:45 GMT+0200

In one of the Snowdon photos, a woman is using hands for balance.

I just observed that for Snowdon, the link
https://www.walkupsnowdon.co.uk/snowdonia-walks/crib-goch/ was replaced
by
https://www.walkupsnowdon.co.uk/snowdonia-walks/scramble-up-y-gribin-ridge-and-y-lliwedd/
containing photos actually showing some hand use. My last post was based
on the first link only, this post on both.

Without knowing that trail, so from the photos alone, hands seem really
_required_ only at 2-3 single points. Just because of these few points
tagging a whole long, well walkable way (look at pic #7 or #9) as
scramble feels plain wrong to me. Like tagging a whole long trail as
ladder just because there are 4-5 rungs installed. For me, it would feel
much more appropriate to have a highway=path containing single points
tagged as barrier=step/block/debris/... where a step is so high you need
a hand for balance or pull up. Or tagging the node as scramble=yes, see
below.

Is there really no more clear example for a whole way requiring to
scramble? Some trail where everybody clearly sees at first glance it's
going to be really difficult to do without hands? I mean pictures like
https://cdn-images-2.click-mallorca.com/imagenes/excursiones/entreforc-torrent-pareis-21153-o.jpg
just for something that does match the current definition of
highway=scramble – which Torrent de Pareis does just not (despite
perfectly matching https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrambling) because it
contains few climbs above UIAA II that are preferred by most
non-climbers to do with rope.

I guess, that makes it a grade1 scramble then, whereas use of hands
to advance might make a higher grade scramble? C.f.
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/understanding-scrambling-grades The site is
operated by a business, no idea if that is just something they made up
or if use is spread wider.

That web page is quite interesting, thanks for sharing. Who has
sufficient experience to judge whether it's not only the publisher's but
a more wide spread definition?

Before doing a grade 2 scramble, they suggest to learn at least climbing
V Diff which is an UIAA IV- according to converter in
https://www.thecrag.com/en/article/grades Because the current proposal
clearly limits highway=scramble to UIAA II, highway=scramble could only
be used for scrambling grade 1 – but what about grade 2 and 3? In shade
of this and other aspects, I encourage to *re-think Peter's suggestion
of scramble=yes respectively scramble=1|2|3 which would allow to
properly tag _all_ scrambles,* whatever grade, whether way or node (if
it's only single points requiring hands like high steps), whatever way
type (including via_ferrata that can be well scrambled without
equipment, track, river bed,...). Also, that would bring OSM's
definition much closer to the one posted above and to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrambling

I like on the proposed tag, that discriminating by use of hands makes
it much more easy on mappers, many of which just do not have the
desire to become proficient in sac_scale.

I agree and at the same time I do not see a much better information
precision until we have a much clearer definition of "when are hands
required" 🙄 That's no real issue for scrambles of grade 2+3, just grade 1.

I doubt, that many routers or renderers will have to change anything.
To the opposite, very few routers and renderes will have to.
Thanks for triggering re-thinking it. I guess you're right – as a hiker
and climber, I use virtually only data consumers that are able and
expected to show/consider scrambles, but many people do only car
navigation, kayaking, cycling,... and will even be happy to get rid of
"all the useless clutter" 😉

Best regards,
Georg