On Oct 9, 2022, at 1:53 PM, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging
<tagging@openstreetmap.org> wrote:
> As the next part of drinking water linguistic journey I documented at
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dwater_tap#Examples
> (bottom example) that bubblers are mostly water taps, despite that
> it may be highly confusing for some people which are not native
> speakers.
>
> Like me.
>
> Let me know if this edit was right or wrong (I am quite confused here,
> and this is why I want to document this to make situation less confusing).

"Drinking water linguistic journey" is both accurate and nearly hilarious
(well, mirthful to me, at least)!

I think your edit is accurate, Mateusz, especially as you clarify a water tap
has the feature that it is "activated by its user."

Martin, "tap=yes" is sort of mathematically (boolean-ly?) unambiguous and I'm
glad OSM as a database can strip it down like this.  Whether the correct verb
for this noun is "is" or "has" might be confusing for the former (but not the
latter), but both verbs work just fine for me (a native English speaker).  When
one says "is" (a water tap) one means "the entire fixture acts as one" and when
one says "has" one means "the spigot feature (smaller than the entirety of the
whole device) is the thing the device has that acts as a water tap."

Whew, English!  Journeys through it.  I hope that this (what a long, strange
trip it's been...) can add some clarity to however we finally document the
various flavors of tap, drinking water, et cetera.  It's work, but it's worth
it, as there MUST be a finish line in our future!

I continue to call "bubblers" (although I personally call them "drinking
fountains") emitting a jot of water on button press "water taps," as it is that
button press that makes them a "tap."  Yes, they are both drinking fountains /
bubblers, too, as well as amenity=drinking_water, I hope it is all clear (how I
see things).  And, I continue to listen, this is sort of fascinating, in an
"oh, my gosh, look how we have had to drag this out" kind of way.