On Sat, Nov 5, 2022 at 6:45 PM Robin Burek <robin.bu...@gmx.de> wrote:

> And if we now get to the point of just "throwing away" the consensus of 12
> years ago.
>

> do we still need the proposal process at all? Because the result from 12
> years ago is also completely ignored by you.

it was already decided to deprecate in 2010, but no one has finally
> implemented it.

What you are discovering firsthand, are the limits of the proposal system.
Indeed I encountered the same challenges. A proposal compels nobody to do
anything. A proposal is nothing more than a communication tool to
demonstrate support for an idea to other players in the community. It's a
signal to other parts of the ecosystem. In other words, if the participants
thought something was a good idea a decade ago, but the rest of the
community (mappers, renderers, editors, data consumers) didn't adopt the
change, in reality, then the persuasive value of that approved proposal
from 12 years ago has faded significantly.

In this community, we seem to be moving further and further into a system
> where improvements to the system are massively prevented and established
> double tagging is simply left in place instead of finally being cleaned up.

I don't agree this has "moved" at all!  The project has always operated
this way.  Eliminating duplicate tagging that has been supplanted by a
newer approved tag is obscenely difficult. I led an effort to resolve
duplicate river area tagging to 99% completion[1]. which was also a change
that was the subject of an approved 2010 proposal. Despite the approved
proposal, it was still controversial, with some community members
disagreeing about exactly what was approved due to how the proposal was
worded and debating whether the old approval was still valid or even a
good idea.

The river project accomplished its goal because enough mappers cared about
it to have community discussions about river tagging in countries
worldwide.  They reached out across many channels to discuss the proposed
changes and the value it brought. And even with that, some people
disagreed, and we had some rough spots early on in the process. The
retagging was followed up with proposals and PRs to change software support
across the project's tooling to drop the old tag.

I was the biggest advocate for the change, but it only happened because I
was met with strong agreement.  Building consensus is hard.  I had to write
really clear and persuasive documentation.  I had to discuss the specifics
of river tagging with many many people.  Those people talked to other
people.  Other mappers generated statistics, procedures, and visualizations
of our progress.  At one point, I even gave a "Mappy Hour" talk[2] on the
project.

If that sounds like a lot of work -- it was!  And just for a single tag!
But THAT is the scope and scale of effort that it's going to take to change
tagging that has tens to hundreds of thousands of objects tagged.  You need
overwhelming agreement AND enough support from motivated community members
to make all the pieces of the ground game come together.  Is this an
indication that our community is dysfunctional?  Maybe.  But it's 100% the
reality that we live in if you want to accomplish wide-ranging change.

This, by the way, is one reason why certain companies refuse to use OSM
> data. The data structure is unnecessarily inflated and complicated by such
> duplications. If we don't stick to our own conventions and enforce
> consensus, perhaps the consensus process should be abolished altogether?

This point would be much stronger if you could point to a specific company
that refused to use OSM data. I've asked for concrete examples about why
our free-for-all is a problem, but I always seem to get hand-waving instead
about the general benefits of standardization[3], which is the reason I've
submitted a question to the candidates in the OSMF election to see where
they stand on it[4].  While I don't like duplicate tagging, I have so far
not seen a convincing argument that it's particularly troublesome, and this
is speaking as someone that's built and operates a service that uses OSM
data.

If you want to propose tagging for something that's never been mapped
before, a proposal is a great way to ensure that the tag you're making up
is reasonable.  If you want to make a change of significant scope and scale
to tagging on the project, you must understand that a proposal is only a
single tool to generate support for your idea, which must be part of a
broader effort towards consensus-building and community action.

[1]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Waterways/River_modernization

[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5YwXDKGr2Y
[3]