Hi Brian,

I appreciate all the effort you underwent with the "river tagging scheme. I do mean it. And I support it. Now, the process to achieve it seems ridiculously hard. You say people "reached out across many channels to discuss the proposed changes", "I had to discuss the specifics of river tagging with many many people. Those people talked to other people." They "generated statistics, procedures, and visualizations of our progress". And in spite of 99% completion I personally could just go out and tag the old way with anyone having the right to "correct" it if I was willing to fight for it. This is why the process is dysfunctional. It is dysfunctional because there is no established path which people you need to talk to, which software support you need and how to do it, how many people you need to convince, etc.

Sometimes you can be lucky. People like you can make a huge effort and what is proposed is overwhelmingly convincing. I won't deny that in those cases things can happen. At least from what I see here, if this isn't the case there is no way to reach any decision that really means something.

I still don't understand why we are not able to create a space where all these people you mention can come together, discuss a scheme and the community finally adopts it - or not. It would be exactly the same as what you have done but in less time, with less effort, more transparent an inclusive. A space where regular mappers, software developers and any other stakeholders know that THIS is the space where we come together to add, improve, modify things, a space where decisions are made and everybody can be heard. And most importantly to finally reach a conclusion on how we want to do things.

Regarding standardization: First of all, I hope we all work on the basis that we want to improve things. Can you move a ton of sand with a spoon? Sure, but it will take you days and with an excavator you are done in 5 minutes. My point is that you CAN do something or that somethings WORKS doesn't mean we can do something or make that somethings works better.

Some time ago I asked Alexander Borsuk (Organic Maps). The context was the debate on the "contact" controversy but it can be extended to other less heated topics... (The conversation was in the open OM Telegram channel and can be found by everyone, so I am not disclosing opinion, subject to privacy)

The key sentences for me are:

"A bigger problem is different public transport schemes, where it's way harder to write a "converter" from one into another. For example, subway map in Vienna was missing because local community decided that it's ok to have two different level platforms in one stop_area. That is really a pain."

"...the proper way would be to merge into multiple values for one chosen tag (and filter duplicate values, of course). That's a bit of a hassle, but it is solvable."

"Of course it is easier if all tags have the same scheme. Then we don't spend our time on the scheme differences, focusing on a better product instead."

Let me ask you then: Can you provide evidence or a few examples in which tag standardization is harmful or represents any disadvantage?

Cheers