Hola Pablo,
I am not certain that I understand completly.

This is what I do to take the language that the browser
has and use that for the user.

<c:if test="${param.language == 'en'}">
    <fmt:setLocale value="en" scope="page" />
</c:if>
<c:if test="${param.language == 'es'}">
    <fmt:setLocale value="es" scope="page" />
</c:if>
<fmt:setBundle basename="pages" var="pagesBundle" />
<fmt:setBundle basename="sitetext" scope="page" />

I had one problem.
I needed to set enablePooling=false in conf/web.xml
for the jsp servlet.
When I took the default, the lang first used by the
browser was the only language it would display.

Let me know if you still have problems or if I misunderstood
your question.