On 21 Mar 2003, Dave Newton wrote:

> Hmm, that's true about the well-formed comment. If one of the goals
> (WAS one of the goals?) was to remove scriptlets, though, isn't the
> ${foo} just some syntactic sugar around a <%=..%>?
>
> Honestly, I wasn't trying to start anything :D

No, these are all good questions.  One of the goals was indeed to remove
scriptlets.  EL expressions improve upon them in two important ways:

 - As I said before, the syntax is compatible with well-formed XML,
   and it's shorter and more convenient for page authors.

 - Expressions, unlike Java, are limited in function; they are only
   used to retrieve values from a handful of specific locations, not
   to call open-ended Java code.

--
Shawn Bayern
"JSTL in Action"   http://www.manning.com/bayern