Well, thank you Hassan and everybody for helping out.

 I had problems also with ELs, they were not evaluating. This problem got
solved after i moved jstl.jar and standard.jar from the project/WEB-INF/lib to
Tomcat_home/commons/lib.

I will try out the fresh install of Tomcat and also clean up a few jar files on
the project,

I think we can close this thread now.

-Regards
Rashmi

Hassan Schroeder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I don't either :-)

I dropped your WAR file into a relatively fresh 5.5.17 install and
got an xpath exception on your test page; then I added *only* xalan.jar
to WEB-INF/lib, reloaded the context, and it worked.

Make sure you don't have multiple copies of those jars installed in
different places.

You, too, might want to experiment with a clean install of Tomcat.

HTH,
--
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                opinion: webtuitive.blogspot.com