hi,

sajolida wrote (10 Aug 2015 16:48:49 GMT) :
> I might have found a bug in our new version numbering scheme...

> We're saying, regarding the second number, "odd = major" and "even =
> minor". But at the same time "2.0 = major" (or actually super major).
> But zero is even [1].

Indeed. I see two potential problems:

1. The release after 2.0 will be called 2.1, while technically it's
   supposed to be a point-release and not a major one. However,
   I suspect that it may contain enough changes (mostly bugfixes) and
   important changes that were held back while we're stabilizing
   Tails/Jesie, to be worth calling it a major one, so that's not
   a blocker IMO.

2. People who have understood the new version numbering, trust it to
   the letter, *and* ignore the major number bump, will be confused.
   I don't think there are many such people, and I don't think it's
   a blocker either.

> Maybe we should consider using "even = minor" and "odd =
> major" instead.

Please, no: odd for less stable releases is a widely used convention
in free software, and using a different one is bound to confuse quite
a few existing and potential contributors (starting with me).

=> IMO the drawbacks of calling 2.0 this way don't warrant
a versioning scheme change. But if we think that they're serious
enough, we could call it 2.1 and be done with it.

Cheers,
--
intrigeri