2009/12/5 80n <80n...@gmail.com>:
> The OSM Foundation can't "force" anyone to relicense their existing data

For clarity... the OSM Foundation is not some evil group...
The OSMF is open, anyone from the community can join. The OSMF Board
is democratically elected from the OSMF membership.
OSMF Board: http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Officers_%26_Board

Disclosure: I am an OSMF member, part of the sysadmin team and a
Licensing Working Group member. (And failed being elected to the board
2 years ago.)

<snip>
> ...the OSM Foundation owns the servers that run the site and if the change
> is approved then they will stop accepting contributions on that site unless
> you agree to the new terms (the OSMF Contributor Terms).
>
> This is likely to be disruptive.

Unfortunately any licensing change would be disruptive.

Some of the reasons why we which to move away from CC BY-SA:
http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/Why_CC_BY-SA_is_Unsuitable

/ Grant