On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Roy Wallace <waldo000...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ... I've emailed QLD gov and Brisbane CC about what the signs mean,
> though I'm not holding my breath for a response...

An email response from the "Road Safety & System Management Division,
Department of Transport and Main Roads" (QLD):

---------------

"The 'Local Traffic Only' sign is an advisory sign only and is not
regulatory. An extract from the MUTCD is produced below.

"20.3.3 Local traffic only (G9-40-1) The LOCAL TRAFFIC ONLY sign may
be used at the entrance to a local area to advise road users that the
street is not intended for through traffic."

This sign may be installed by either The Department of Transport and
Main Roads or Local Government with the appropriate delegation.

It is an advisory sign to all road users advising the street is not
intended to be used by through traffic, however vehicles are the
primary target (bicycles and pedestrians are generally not an issue)."