On 17/06/2010 11:30 AM, John Smith wrote:
On Thu, June 17, 2010 4:27 pm, tom.bren...@ampcapital.com wrote:
> Do you have any suggestions on how contours should be marked? eg
> every 10m elevation, or 5 or 50 or ... ?
Depends on the scale of the map. 1:25000 maps are typically rendered
with 10m or 20m contours. Every 5th or 10th contour should be in bold.

>> navigation are: - tracks - render as dashed black line
>
> Can you put this in OSM terms?

What do you mean by OSM terms (I'm a bit of a newbie)

>> - ideally there needs to be more granularity of track
>> difficulty - track_visibility=* is probably useful -
>> sac_scale=* is less useful as it is too specific to alpine
>> areas - however, something indicating difficulty/exposure would
>> be useful
>
> This came up on IRC the other day, there the suggestion with sac
> scale was it should be limited to things SAC has actually
> evaluated, and there is no equivalent body in Australia so there
> probably needs a new/different tag for difficulty ratings in
> Australia difficulty:au=*
The AS2156 discussed elsewhere is not great, but better than nothing.
It's too much to be able to catch everything about a track in one or two
tags.

>> - intermittent stream - thin dashed blue - main deficiency in
>> tagging is the need for an intermittent watercourse tag eg
>> waterway=stream_non_perennial or intermittent=yes
>
> I don't think we have a tag for this at present, out of those 2
> choices intermittent=yes is shorter, although we probably should
> with all the dry creek beds out there most of the time. In any case
> what ever is decided needs to be documented.
My preference is for intermittent=yes. That way it can be applied to
rivers as well as streams. We've got intermittent rivers in Australia,
that's for sure.

>> - other topographic features like peaks, passes, ranges, ridges,
>> spurs, valleys - should have names render but probably no other
>> marker - some of those (eg ridges, spurs) don't seem to have any
>> method in OSM (proposed or otherwise) for tagging at the moment
>
> Peaks usually get the elevation printed, any thoughts on how to tag
> the rest?
>
> A lot of these might fit under the natural=* section...
> natural=cliff etc...
There have been various discussions about how to tag things like ranges,
ridges, spurs and valleys, which don't have distinct boundaries. So far
nothing has come of them.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Extended_place_tags
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Relations/Proposed/Region
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Geographical_Places

My thinking was along the lines of the latter... but that got
comprehensively voted down...

See
http://ozultimate.com/kanangra.png
for example of map section with a variety of different geographic
features, many of which can't easily be represented in OSM at the moment
(Gangerang Range, Kilpatrick Causeway, Crafts Wall, Brennan Top,
Seriphos Pit, Seriphos Cliffs, Gabes Gap)

cheers
----
Tom Brennan
Bushwalking? http://ozultimate.com/bushwalking