Thanks Mark and I appreciate your feedback. I very much hope you will be able to accept the new terms and get back to mapping and will help if I can.

The direct answer to your question is that if ABS data is available and downloaded from data.gov.au [1], and has a CC-BY license, then yes. I checked a fairly large random sample and, indeed, all of them were CC-BY. If the dataset is only available from the ABS website [2] then it would be best to be cautious and courteous by asking them directly. I have not done so as I believe everything (geographical) that the OSM community wants is at data.gov.au, but am happy to do so if asked.

Now, at a practical level, I believe this all boils down to one dataset of suburb boundaries [3]. I hope others will correct me if I am wrong here. There is also an interesting dataset of post code areas, I believe that has never been imported, but could be done now.

The suburbs dataset in OSM is from 2006 data and was imported by Franc under the user account http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/ABS2006. I have confirmed that Franc does not wish to accept the new contributor terms on behalf of that account. It will therefore have to be removed. It can be replaced with a newer 2011 dataset [4], so is probably a good thing anyway? Franc has very kindly made the original Perl import script available, I can mail it anyone who wants it. Ogr2osm [5] has also been recommended to me as a very up-to-date tool.

I am steadily hijacking your original question but my suggestion is that this be done fairly soon after a bit of discussion so that folks know what is happening, checked that the details I am presenting are correct and can give some input. One question: should all relevant boundaries be removed (easy, clean but will also blow away some local corrections made by contributors) or should just the ABS2006 user data be removed, (which will leave the corrections but be messier and require some manual merging when the new 2011 set is imported)?

Hope that helps,
Mike

[1] http://data.gov.au/data/?agency=Australian+Bureau+of+Statistics

[2] _http://www.abs.gov.au/geography_ and http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/webpages/statistics?opendocument are good starting points.