The NSW LPT base map is particularly helpful for road classifications .. tracks, unclassified, tertiary and paths. It is in some ways better than a survey as it looks to take into account the importance to the community and that is very hard to determine by simply travelling the road.

Where a 'track' travels a long distance .. say over 50 km I would argue that it is 'unclassified' as that length suggests it is not a simple service/maintenance track but a connection between distant points. As far as seeking out the 'interesting/adventure' roads .. I first look for unpaved, then connecting. The old 'Tracks for Australia' garmin map is helpful but well out of date.

The condition/difficulty of the road is best determined by travelling the road, I don't add that detail unless I have travelled it. I do add surface=unpaved/paved ... on some bridges I remove the surface tag as I cannot be certain what is there, on a few I change it to concrete.