On 27/11/20 11:15 am, Andrew Hughes wrote:
Hi All,

Apologies for the boring subject, but I'd like to talk about mapping out Culverts on (way/highway) roads.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culvert

The reason we would like to map these is that they influence road usage and in particular usage for heavy vehicles. They are very much like a bridge in that they have weight & width limits and often have conditions of use (such as maximum speed) or considerations during natural disaster scenarios (i.e. flooding). /Note - tagging should be on the way, not on a node./

Yet to see any signs on any culvert in Australia with weight & width limits.

May culverts are simple pipes under the road, just a little wider than the road. It would be difficult to map these with any accuracy for the length of the pipe.

This subject has a long-running chequered past that hasn't reached a conclusion https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:tunnel%3Dculvert#.22Tagging_controversy.22_section

From my understanding, the convention is to tag the water course (i.e. river/stream/creek) as tunnel=culvert. It's great as it models where water traverses man made structures and I can see it helping many scenarios. However, it doesn't help with road usage.

We need to model/tag the culvert as part of the road infrastructure.

Would a node that connects both road and water way be sufficient?

We plan to be tagging a lot of culverts in the future, so it's important for use to get some clarity around this for obvious reasons.

If imagery is used, how do you distinguish between a small bridge and a large culvert?