From: Andrew Harvey <andrew.harv...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, 24 August 2022 2:21 PM
To: Jake Coppinger <j...@jakecoppinger.com>; Josh Marshall
<josh.p.marsh...@gmail.com>
Cc: OSM Aust Discussion List <talk-au@openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [talk-au] Mapping surf breaks

On Tue, 23 Aug 2022 at 18:18, Josh Marshall <josh.p.marsh...@gmail.com
<mailto:josh.p.marsh...@gmail.com> > wrote:

Are there any concerns on me taking the idea and running with it? It would be
good at least to flesh out the wiki page on what tags can or should be applied.
I already have a spreadsheet from the grommie on the various attributes of a
surf break (left and right waves, tide/swell/wind required). Does this require
a formal proposal?

My own pause relates to how even though surf breaks are physical locations
(would be mapped as either areas or points), they are tied to underwater
features and topography such as reefs, not necessarily visible from the
surface. And so will rely heavily on local knowledge. But if not rendered by
default, there’s no problem with that, right?

It would be great to see surf breaks better mapped!

I would suggest just start tagging ones you know well, invent your own tags, no
proposal needed so you can be liberal with experimenting with the tags and how
the features are represented. Over time I'd recommend documenting your tags on
the wiki, if eventually into a proposal, to gain a more global point of view
and consensus.

natural=surf_break

surf_break=* (beach, reef, shipwreck, etc)

sport=surfing

name=* if named

Points or areas should be good. Would linear ways make sense sometimes? Right
hand side could indicate direction waves break?

On Wed, 24 Aug 2022 at 13:45, Jake Coppinger <j...@jakecoppinger.com
<mailto:j...@jakecoppinger.com> > wrote:

> tl;dr - I’m interested in getting more surfing-centric tagging into OSM,
> hopefully leading to an open surfing map.

As an avid surfer (Sydney region) and OSM contributor I love the sound of this!

Something I note that is missing on the wiki
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:sport%3Dsurfing) is how to tag
something when surfing isn't an option at a beach - the absence of
`sport=surfing` on a beach node may just mean it hasn't been surveyed yet.
Being able to query all surfable (or exclude non-surfable) beaches would be
great for a road trip or choosing a campsite.

For example, Brighton-Le-Sands never has waves as it's in Botany Bay.
`sport=none` wouldn't make sense as it's a great spot for windsurfing (and
beach cricket etc :D). Is there space for a tag like `surfing=unsuitable` or
`waves=minimal` to be added to a `natural=beach`?

If we could start over I'd advocate for natural=coastline on the land/sea
border only, and natural=shoreline for other borders. Would it be safe to
assume beaches along the sea/ocean edge are surf beaches and beaches along bays
or harbours are not?

surfing=yes/no should act like the rest of the access tags, meaning are you
allowed to surf or not, rather than is it any good for surfing.