Hi Graeme and all,

I tasked the kid with drawing the ideal surf map, and he’s really stuck
into it… and it’s given me more to think about how the features should be
drawn.

On 25 Aug 2022, at 9:20 am, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Wondering whether you need to have conditional at all?

How about

sport=surfing
surfing:direction=NE
surfing:size=4ft
surfing:wind=W-SW

& make it clear in the wiki that these are the typical / usual conditions.

I take away the point from your comment that surf breaks are *always*
conditional, so it’s superfluous to name them so.

I agree.

I like the idea of separate tags too:
- some may be more necessary than others
- better than trying to cram them all into one
- can be added to over time, rather than a formalised :conditional=

surfing:size=4ft

One thing about size. Here at least (GC) surf reports always quote feet,
not metres. Does that change by location?

Always feet. When surfers talk about wave size, it’s much like fishing
aficionados talking about the size of their catch, if you know what I’m
getting at.

But “size” is variable, what would need to be tagged is “minimum swell
size” for a break to be rideable… which is a more scientific measure and
reported formally.

I found this article to be the most succinct and detached summary of
conditions required for particular breaks:
https://unravelsurftravel.com/understanding-waves/

Cheers,
Josh