Hi Frederik,

At first I was a little annoyed at what I thought to be obvious things to
consider in your message, as what I am trying to do with this discussion is
exactly to cover those issues... but I always run a little search first,
and that very much changed my tune to saying I am quite honoured to have
you reply to my little proposal. :)

I am also a non-surfer, but my son is approaching elite level (it's not
from my side of the family), and so this is somewhat a collaborative
effort, and he has become quite engaged by the thought of an open
repository of information on surfing.

He has already prepared a spreadsheet with all the attributes required to
describe a break, which are practically identical already to those
suggested by Phil Wyatt in the response following yours. The primary
"conditions" are swell direction and size, wind direction and tide. I have
yet to fully think them through, but my instinction is to do it in a
fashion similar to `:conditional` (
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Conditional_restrictions), perhaps:

sport=surfing
surfing:conditional=swell-direction@NE-E;swell-size@3m+;wind@S-WSW (and so
on)

Now in another sense this is getting a bit ahead of the game... I am
thinking as a part of this there would need to be a dedicated map
server+site for highlighting the surfing options (hopefully I will have the
time for this)... and until there is I think it's okay to experiment with
the tagging. Because in general a surfer would also be able to determine
the conditions by looking at the map and a current weather forecast.

So I am collating all these thoughts, and will put them together into the
discussion on the sport=surfing tag to take it forward, while doing a
little experimentation in my local area.

Regards,
Josh