On Thu, 21 Sept 2023 at 20:57, Mark Pulley <mrpul...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> I know this has been discussed on the list before, but the NSW NPWS has
> deleted some informal paths at Apsley Falls (Oxley Wild Rivers National
> Park).
>
> These were deleted in 2022 by a NPWS employee, and after discussion were
> reverted. I re-surveyed them later that year.
> These paths have been recently deleted again, initially edited by a
> different NPWS employee. (Three different change sets, summarised below.)
>
> I had thought the consensus last time was to leave the paths in, tagged as
> informal=yes (unless the path has been formally closed, in which case
> access=no can be used). Is this still the case? Also, do we need to add a
> policy to the wiki for similar situations?

We have
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines/Cycling_and_Foot_Paths#Closed/Illegal_Path
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines/Cycling_and_Foot_Paths#Closed/Illegal_Paths>

Informal Paths (informal=yes) - these would still show up as for use, but
with the note that they may not be maintained, may not have signage etc.

Closed Paths (abandoned:highway=* or disused:highway=* + access=no) - These
should not show up as for use, but still be present in OSM data for users
looking for closed paths.