On Fri, 22 Sept 2023 at 16:37, Phil Wyatt <p...@wyatt-family.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>

> Personally, I believe if the managing agency requests that the tracks be
> removed from the map then as good corporate citizens we should do
> everything possible to lower the promotion of such tracks. Track managers
> also have a responsibility to also actively advise people and if the area
> is high use then signage and rehabilitation at the locations will help.
>

> Track rehabilitation, even when undertaken actively, can take many, many
> years and there will likely be remains of the
> closed/abandoned/rehabilitated tracks showing in some environments, on some
> imagery, for an extended period of time.
>

> I don’t believe that the abandoned or disused tags adequately reflect the
> desire of the managers but it is supported by some. Some users may see
> those tags as an ‘opportunity’ to reopen the track and promote use back to
> previous levels and they may do this without the backing of the agency.
>

> In a nutshell, in this instance, they are asking for folks to stop going
> there. I also feel that if a track has active rehabilitation being
> undertaken then a better tag would be rehabilitated:highway=*type* along
> with access=no. Many such tracks will get limited rehabilitation at the
> ‘take off points’ only and the rest of the track will be left to very
> slowly rehabilitate, maybe with some occasional bars to impede water flow
> and allow buildup of debris. Again, it will take many years for full
> rehabilitation to take place.

I'm fine with a new lifecycle prefix like rehabilitated where there are
visible efforts to actually rehabilitate (e.g. new plantings, levelling,
filling the track with dead trees, etc.), if there is just a track closed
sign that's not quite the same as physically it may still be perfectly
usable just legally you can't use it.

I wish park managers would see mapping it in OSM as a rehabilitated track
or closed track would help keep people off the track. Data consumers could
then build maps or provide hints or notices to their map users to indicate
such so people don't use the track naively assuming it's open for use. If
it's not mapped in OSM, unless people see the track closed signage, they
might just stumble upon it and think its overgrown and actually start
clearing and rebuilding it!