On 08-02-15 14:41, Ben Laenen wrote:
> On Sunday 08 February 2015 13:55:04 Glenn Plas wrote:
>> I'm being paid to keep ArcelorMittal site in Zelzate up to date, I
>> actually receive detailed plans from AM to accomplish this.  Especially
>> all their emergency exist are very important to them.
>
> Ah, I was wondering when I was redrawing all the railways in there (do I get
> some money now too? :-p ) how everything got so detailed in there that there
> had to be someone with inside information :-)

I get money from a third party, I deal with AM daily but I don't send
invoices to them directly :)

> One question though, I don't agree that those crane rails like these
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/51.1645/3.8031 should be tagged as
> railway=rail. I feel like there should be a special tag for them. Right now
> they're even more prominent on all the maps than the real railways, and in
> every railway themed map they're now seen as some proper railways... I used
> the tag man_made=rail for them, but you obviously don't like that one...

I agree something dedicated would be better, but in essence, rails can
be used for lots of things, they do not have to be a part of the
transport system to be 'real'.  They are real enough though.

I actually put usage=industrial on it to differentiate but that has a
bad side effect on the map that those rails get drawn darker than the
regular once, that is not ideal.  That bothers me that they are more
visible than regular rails.

But man_made=rail isn't used in OSM according to taginfo, nor is
man_made=railway.  The point is that a healty combination of tags should
be able to describe this sort of rail being interpreted  ( see
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/man_made=rail ).

I was actually the first one to abuse man_made=rail on that area..,  in
fact I originally tagged them as such but I think I was wrong back then,
for some reason I copied that tag thinking it was ok.

> Also, there are man_made=crane nodes on the location where you can see them
> in
> the AGIV imagery, but how can you map these when they actually move over the
> rails?

Well, they are nodes on rails.... :)  But I admit, it's indeed kind of
difficult to tag those realistically  so I tried marking them on the
'homebase'.  It's not that important in fact, they are not drawn anyway
on the standaard OSM style, just like the entrances in fact aren't
shown, so we regularly extract those extra features using overpass and
add them as layers in the map.

You know, everytime I map industrial sites I have the feeling that we're
missing some decent tagging scheme for such sites.  This customer used
to depend on sat pics (of years ago) to pinpoint location, now they feel
OSM is just great for their goals.  No need for Google sat pics anymore.

> Greetings
> Ben

Sorry if it came across as If I'm superpissed-off or something, I
wasn't.  I should actually not complain because my time is paid to
'correct' it :)

Maybe we should try and find a better scheme, as more and more
industrial sites will become interested in mapping their domains.

But a rail is a rail to me.  Just like a road in 6-Flags is still a
road, even though it's not public.  I try to keep it simple.

Glenn

--
"Everything is going to be 200 OK."