I tried it a bit, and I do have some concerns with both the mapping plugin
and the style JOSM uses.

First, I think that a traffic sign should only have tags like

traffic_sign=BE:C21[7]

and no tags like

maxweight=7

Those legal implications of traffic signs should stay on way segments IMO.
So the stylesheet should try to recognise all traffic sign codes. Now you
can tag something like traffic_sign=BE:A1a + maxweight=7, and JOSM will
display a maxweight sign. Which isn't good. Splitting the tags completely
makes it possible to have some redundancy, and to check one tagset against
the other.

Next to that, when we need to tag traffic signs, I would also like a way to
set the direction of a sign easily, and to be able to view the direction
easily. Certainly on physically split highways, some signs tend to be in
the middle of the road, so it's unclear how they're facing. At crossings it
can also be very ambiguous. We shouldn't have to fill in an angle by hand,
but with some hotkey+mouse action, JOSM could generate the right angle (and
maybe rotate the sign like it does for turn restrictions).

Then I've always had problem with tagging variable speed limits (f.e. those
dynamic zone-30 signs). When mapping signs, there should be a clear
difference between the variable sign and the fixed sign, and that setting
should also apply to the tags on the way segments.

Since we're tagging directions on road pieces too, allowing direction signs
(f.e. F29) should also be possible.

And as a final general comment, when it comes to sub-signs and direction
signs, there are many free texts possible. This should also be made
possible next to the few defaults.

Now, wrt the specific Belgian case, I've also seen a few mistakes, though
not that many, since the plugin isn't very usable before solving the above.

C9 is translated to moped=no on the wiki, while it's mofa=no on the plugin.
I know the difference is very fuzzy (and the relation to class A and B
too), but we should at least use a uniform tagging.

C23 is translated to goods=no on the wiki, and hgv=no on the plugin, again,
the difference is rather fuzzy.

C24a and C24b are both tagged as hazmat=no on the plugin, again a
difference with the wiki, and I'm not sure what the hazmat_ADR_tunnel sign
is.

Sign combinations (like C5+C7) also aren't available in the plugin.

No-stopping signs are missing from the plugin, and no-parking signs have no
tags attached (parking:lanes:right=no would be the default tag I guess).

The F1 sign (without buildings background) is deprecated and all need to be
replaced against June 1st (see
http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20141120_01386508 as example), I don't
think the plugin will be production-ready against that time. So I don't
think it's worth to include the sign (at least not with that graphic).

F9 should be translated to motorroad=yes instead of motorway=yes

The F17 sign contains some strange defaults (conditional access
restrictions?)

I didn't really check the validity of sub-signs, as I've often found
sub-signs very confusing in real life.

Regards,
Sander