Hello,

It is strange discussion about the use of another (commercial) map as source for OSM. Did Michelin license the use of their maps?

On the other side: it is the gouvernement that decides about the road classification. For Wallonie the concept of the classification 'La hiérarchisation du réseau' with RGG Réseau à Grand Gabarit, RESI Réseau Interurbain and RSR Réseau Sous-Régional exists already 20 years. For the concept see http://routes.wallonie.be/struct.jsp?chap=3&page=2(1) For Vlaanderen the general concept of the classification is in Ruimtelijk Structuurplan Vlaanderen 2011 (2) with Hoofdweg, Primaire Weg Cat. I & Cat. II, Secundaire Weg and Lokale Weg.
And there is the Brussels region.

The question should be how we can translate those official classifications to the limited categories of classification we have in OSM. And that should come in the Wiki. For the moment the Conventions/Highways in the Wiki is still based on the situation before 1989, when the Belgian roads became a matter of the Regions.

Regards,

Erik

(1) For Wallonie the lists of roads can be found in official publications as http://www.ejustice.just.fgov.be/cgi_loi/arch_a1.pl?sql=(text+contains+(%27%27))&rech=1&language=fr&tri=dd+AS+RANK&value=&table_name=loi&F=&cn=1993122263&caller=archive&fromtab=loi&la=F&ver_arch=001 <http://www.ejustice.just.fgov.be/cgi_loi/arch_a1.pl?sql=%28text+contains+%28%27%27%29%29&rech=1&language=fr&tri=dd+AS+RANK&value=&table_name=loi&F=&cn=1993122263&caller=archive&fromtab=loi&la=F&ver_arch=001> (2) For Vlaanderen see http://www.vlaanderen.be/nl/publicaties/detail/ruimtelijk-structuurplan-vlaanderen-geco-rdineerde-versie-2011 (page 487) and https://rsv.ruimtevlaanderen.be/Portals/121/documents/publicaties/samenvatting_w.pdf pages 83-87 and the map on page 126