The problem is that even the official sources are sometimes wrong.

I know some examples where the official route status is completely false
regarding the reality on the field like
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/49.6538/5.3533
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/49.6538/5.3533>

The N840 going south-north from Orval
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/64157063>is documented on Wallonie's Réseau
routier régional <http://geoservices.wallonie.be/> as a ‘main' road (even it if
is so small that two small lorries could no cross each other and that there is
a restriction for all motorized vehicles !), while the one going to the
north-east <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/64157162> and which is a a matter
of a fact the one to be followed
<https://www.google.be/maps/place/Abbaye+d'Orval/@49.6401209,5.3518258,3a,75y,53.82h,90.19t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sYLWZIdkdRxSJ35mqFs-hCQ!2e0!6s//geo2.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=YLWZIdkdRxSJ35mqFs-hCQ&output=thumbnail&cb_client=search.TACTILE.gps&thumb=2&w=392&h=106&yaw=193.30734&pitch=0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x47ea8dd01812b513:0x8673170607a6243e!8m2!3d49.6397231!4d5.3494654!6m1!1e1>
 isn’t even mentioned on that official service.

In those situation I prefer mapping the real situation even if the
administrative status is wrong.

Regarding the classification, it looks to me that the description in the wiki
is pretty accurate and clear. residential = "Often lined with housing” while
unclassified is "serve a purpose other than access to properties. Often link
villages and hamlets."

So to get back to the Liege case, it looks pretty clear to me that most of the
streets should be mapped as residential and not as unclassified. However, some
places are quite “special” like the Thiers-à-Liège where I can understand that
roads (if one can name this a road) could easily be mapped as unclassified. But
that’s an exception.

Matthieu

> [...]
>> Eugène Houdret <http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/237917909>.  As well as in
>> Rue Louis Jamme
>> <http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/368855374#map=18/50.63813/5.58499> to
>> connect Place Delcour <http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/28611081> to primary
>> N90 <http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/28659889> and primary N610
>> <http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/368855373> (2). N610 should in theory be
>> secondary but I completely agree with Michelin to make it debatable and make
>> it primary like the Namur road should.
>>
>> I did not investigate further (I'm short sighted indeed) but I suggest that
>> anyone contesting an OSM route compared it with the same routing by
>> Michelin, tried to find an explanation by comparing my overpass
>> <http://overpass-turbo.eu/?q=CltvdXQ6anNvbl1bdGltZcSCxIQ2MF07Ci8vIGdhdGhlciByZXN1bHRzCigKICDElyBxdcSeeSDEqiB3YXlbImhpZ2jEtnkiPSJtb3RvcsS_Il0oe3tiYm94fX0pxJXEq8S_xLnEu8S9xYnFgnByxI1hcsWAxYvFjcWPxZHFk8WVxLTFl8S3xZnEvMS-xLfFgSJzZWPEiGTFocWjxYzFjsWQxZLFlMSVxLTFmMS6xa7FnCJ0xJ7EjMW4xYrFusWmxb3FqcWrxLjGgsWbxbDFgnVuY2xhc3NpZmllZMaKxaXFvMWoxZbEtcWsxpHFr8WAxYLEocabZGVuxohsxqHFu8Wnxb7EtArFqcStxZ5pxrDEoMSixKTEpgrEkCDFkGR5xJU-xJXHg3NrZWzErnTFv8WNc3R5bGU6CsSWKkRlZmHHgCDFs3TEjG5ncyBmxYfGpnlzKi8KxL8ge8S0b3BhY2nHlTowLjXGpXdpZMScOjPGpcW1bMWHOmJsxLDGpX3HmsWYxZrGqT3FhMWGxYjEt13Hs8Wqx7bHuMe6ece8LjnIgMiCyIQ0yIdvyIlyOsShZMiPyJHFrMiTxL89xrttxbjImse0xKsgyJ3Huce7x73Io8aAyKVoOsinxLTIiMiKyK3Ir8exyLHGg8S3PcWzxbVuxbfFosi4yJzHt8i9yKDIv8ikyIPJg8mFxKvJh8ireceOyIl3yYrIksmNeT3GhnLGiMmUyJvIusi8yJ_IocmAxZfJgsmEyKjIqjrJomzJpMmmyYzGksmpxqzIgsavxrHJlcmwyZfJssmayYHJnMm3yYbIqciKZ8Shx4fEtMiQx5rHm0jFrmzFrnQgxJxlIMe4xIx2yp_HsmFmyasgxpdpY2vGvGfHr8mLyKDKoWnKo8mvxKvJsci-yKLJm8iEOMm4yYjGn8mKCsWT&c=BL83OJVENO&R>
>>  with the Michelin map
>> <https://fr.viamichelin.be/web/Cartes-plans/Carte_plan-Liege-_-Liege-Belgique?>
>>  (my "Michelin info" message helps the wise JOSM users too), and asked
>> people with local knowledge if they know better than Michelin.
>>
>> Last point is what source:???=Michelin ??? to use to prevent a StijnRR or
>> like arbitrarily destructing well thought out tagging without notifying the
>> author. I suggest source:highway=https://viamichelin.be/web/Cartes-plans
>> <https://viamichelin.be/web/Cartes-plans> 2016 2016.
>>
>> Kéne afêre à Lîdje and I hope that this work will be useful elsewhere too,
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> André.
>> (1) As white would not fit for residential, I used grey.  I'm surprised
>> indeed that no unclassified roads turn up in blue but that doesn't affect
>> routing.
>> (2) why the heck do those people adore splitting?

>>> In order to produce good routing using the main roads (1), ...
>>> why not adopt in OSM the same classification as Michelin
>>> <https://fr.viamichelin.be/web/Cartes-plans/Carte_plan-Liege-_-Liege-Belgique?>
>>>  (2)?
>>> They should know something about routing, shouldn't they?

>>> Nxxx
>>> other
>>> many houses
>>> rare houses